Make variable global

aspineux aspineux at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 16:43:12 EDT 2007

try

>>> import a
>>> a.blah
>>> a.go()
>>> a.blah

or

rewrite a.py like this

blah = [ None ]
def go():
    global blah
    blah[0] = 5 # and not blah=[5]

then
>>> from a import *
>>> blah
>>> go()
>>> blah

will work as expected

in case 1 ( import a )

blah in a.py and a.blah in python interpreter are the same
_REFERENCE_, they are the same

in case 2 (blah[0]=5)

blah in a.py and a.blah in python interpreter are just 2 differents
variables
that reference the _SAME_ object, but here (the difference with your
original case)
the object ( a list ) is a mutable object (you can change its value
without changing
the object. Here blah=[5] should simply make blah reference a new
object, but will
let the old one, [None] untouched, but unreachable (no more reference
to it)

BR