Fortran vs Python - Newbie Question

Beliavsky beliavsky at aol.com
Mon Mar 26 18:35:01 EDT 2007

On Mar 26, 8:40 am, kyoso... at gmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 26, 8:20 am, "Noma... at gmail.com" <Noma... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > OK...
> > I've been told that Both Fortran and Python are easy to read, and are
> > quite useful in creating scientific apps for the number crunching, but
> > then Python is a tad slower than Fortran because of its a high level
> > language nature, so what are the advantages of using Python for
> > creating number crunching apps over Fortran??
> > Thanks
> > Chris
>
> While I have never personally dealt withFortran, I looked it up here:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortran_code_examples
>
> The code examples speak for themselves. I recommend you look those
> over and then look over similar simple program written in Python.

Code written using the features of modern Fortran (90 or later),
including free source form, looks better than code written in Fortran
66 or 77. Except that Fortran uses keywords to terminate blocks rather
than indentation as in Python, properly indented Fortran does not look
much different from Python. Neither language requires curly braces or
semicolons to terminate blocks and lines.

It does not make sense to argue against programming in Fortran 95 now
because of limitations that were removed long ago.