Starting an external, independent process from a script

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Mar 13 15:13:03 EDT 2007

On 12 Mar 2007 16:13:51 -0700, Henrik Lied <henriklied at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm trying to create a video uploading service (just to learn). The
>> system is mostly based on Django, but the question I'm looking an
>> answer for is more related to Python.

En Tue, 13 Mar 2007 06:57:33 -0300, rishi pathak
<mailmaverick666 at gmail.com> escribió:

> You can do something like this:
> pid = os.fork()

I don't think it's a good idea, the running process is Django, not a
script.

To the OP: I think the question *is* a Django question. You could launch
the external process, finish the current request and redirect to another
location; in that page you set a refresh to itself, and show the current
status "somehow" depending on how your external process can report its
progress. The details on how to do that, or even if that way is a good
approach at all, depend on Django.

--
Gabriel Genellina