number generator

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Mar 10 15:59:35 EST 2007

news:esukru$1v1$1 at news2.zwoll1.ov.home.nl...

http://groups.google.nl/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/4782b54fa39b3bad

| Except that the bins now have at least 1 brick in them (if we have
| positive numbers).
|
| I posted a rather simplistic solution (but working I think) after Steven
| Taschuk made some insightful remarks. I believe it is possible to
| generate the list of numbers directly instead of permuting a list of '0'
| and '1' characters and then finding the positions of the '1' elements.

Partitioning positive count m into n positive counts that sum to m is a
standard combinatorial problem at least 300 years old.  The number of such
partitions, P(m,n)  has no known exact formula but can be computed
inductively rather easily.  The partitions for m and n can be ranked in
lexicographic order from 0 to P(m,n)-1.  Given a rank r in that range, one
can calculate the particular partition that has that rank.  So a
equi-probable random count in the range can be turned into a equi-probable
random partition.

This topic is section 3.1 in Combinatorial Algorithms: Generation,
Enumeration, and Search by Kreher and Stinson.  The authors reference
several other books as their sources.

I plan to someday rewrite many of their pseudocode algorithms in Python.

Terry Jan Reedy