Is numeric keys of Python's dictionary automatically sorted?

John rds1226 at sh163.net
Wed Mar 7 15:18:10 EST 2007

I am coding a radix sort in python and I think that Python's dictionary may
be a choice for bucket.

The only problem is that dictionary is a mapping without order. But I just
found that if the keys are numeric, the keys themselves are ordered in the
dictionary.

part of my code is like this:
radix={}
    for i in range(256):
        radix[i]=[]

I checked and found that it is ordered like: {1:[], 2:[], 3[],...}

So I can just print out the contents of the dictionary in the desired order
without additional code.
I also tried adding new numeric keys and found that the dictionary's keys
are still ordered.

However, I am not sure whether it is always like this. Can anybody confirm
my finding?