Getting external IP address

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Mon Mar 5 07:26:06 EST 2007

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

> Duncan Booth <duncan.booth at invalid.invalid> writes:
>> If you try connecting to 'www.showmyip.com' and requesting '/xml/' it
>> should work.
>
> If the firewall is really obnoxious, it can bounce consecutive queries
> around between multiple originating IP addresses.  That is uncommon
> but it's been done from time to time.

Yes, each connection through the firewall needs to have a unique
originating ip and port number. If there are too many machines inside the
firewall then you may need to allocate multiple ip addresses on the
outside. I would hope that in general a single internal IP should map to
one external IP at a time (otherwise you would have problems with ip based
session persistence connecting to load balanced systems), but you might
expect to bounce round different IPs after periods of inactivity.

Also you could have multiple levels of NAT in which case the question
becomes whether Steven wants the IP as seen from outside the immediate
firewall or outside the final one. Maybe he should be using IPv6 to avoid
all this?