Python object overhead?

Mark Nenadov mark at freelance-developer.com
Fri Mar 23 19:31:17 EDT 2007

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 19:11:23 -0300, Gabriel Genellina wrote:

> Poor xreadlines method had a short life: it was born on Python 2.1 and got
> deprecated on 2.3 :(
> A file is now its own line iterator:
>
> f = open(...)
> for line in f:

Gabriel,

Thanks for pointing that out! I had completely forgotten about
that!

I've tested them before. readlines() is very slow. The deprecated
xreadlines() is close in speed to open() as an iterator. In my particular
test, I found the following:

readlines() -> 32 "time units"
xreadlines() -> 0.7 "time units"
open() iterator -> 0.41 "time units"

--
Mark Nenadov -> skype: marknenadov, web: http://www.marknenadov.com
-> "They need not trust me right away simply because the British say