Anything available that can read Microsoft .MDB files from Python?

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Mon Mar 19 17:55:24 EDT 2007

Steve Holden wrote:
> Terry Reedy wrote:
>
>> <kyosohma at gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1174334517.125928.274140 at l75g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
>> | I've read .MDB files using ODBC. I don't know how big your files are,
>> | but I had a file with almost 3000 rows and I was able to fetch it in
>> | 1-2 seconds. If you want to give it whirl, you just need to create an
>> | ODBC connection and then do the following:
>>
>> I'll just mention that OpenOffice.org Base can make ODBC connections
>> and output in several formats.  Don't know if their ODBC works with .MDB.
>>
> I seem to remember I actually managed to open an MDB file with the Open
> Office database component (but that was on Windows, so I can't guarantee
> it will work on Linux).

    That works fine on Windows, because OpenOffice can use Jet, the Access
engine.  Don't know if it would work on Linux.  Probably not.

    I need to read about 10,000,000 records, and running them through an
OpenOffice spreadsheet probably isn't a good approach.  There are quite
a few tools for dealing with small Microsoft Access databases in memory, but
they don't scale.

    MDBtools would be the right answer, if it worked.  I have some questions
out on the MDBtools forum, trying to work around some build problems.
MDBtools hasn't had a release in three years, and it won't build with
Fedora Core 6.

					John Nagle