Mastering Python

Paul McGuire ptmcg at austin.rr.com
Fri Mar 16 09:48:12 EDT 2007

On Mar 16, 6:41 am, "Gerald" <gerald... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi ,Im a BSc4 Maths/Computer Science student.Unfortunately my
> curriculum did not include Python programming yet I see many vacancies
> for Python developers.I studied programming Pascal,C++ and Delphi.So I
> need to catch up quickly and master Python programming.How do you
> suggest that I achieve this goal?Is python platform independent?What
> is the best way?And how long would it take before I can develop
> applications using python?Can you recommend websites that feature a
> gentle introduction to Python?

P.S. You'll get further faster with Python than with Java or Perl,
where you posted similar "how do I master language X?" requests.  I've
used Java and suffered through Perl.  Compared to Perl, Python a) has
less magic symbology/punctuation, and b) treats you more like an adult
("open x or die"? Come on!).  Java syntax is so bloated you have to
tack on Eclipse plug-ins by the fistful to auto-generate the wrapper
junk code around the code you really wanted to get run.

Get thee to www.python.org, and get going, post haste!