New to Python

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Mon Mar 12 10:23:54 EDT 2007

> I do have previous experience with programming (much more than
> it's reasonable for one lifetime, BTW. I have the curse of never
> forgetting things I learn, so sometimes I catch myself thinking
> in archaic and extinct languages), but I found python particularly
> hard to learn (not as much as Haskell). Maybe I am not doing it
> the right way, trying to learn Python _and_ Python GUI interface
> at the same time.
>
> For example, yesterday I wanted to open a window, draw some
> image, and make it move. I tried it with tkinter and with pygame,
> but I didn't succeed - there was no way I could find how to
> begin the image in the center of the window (!!!).
>
> Such basic things are usually solved with a google search, like
> "python image position", but there was no inchantation I could utter
> that would bring me the effect I wanted (oops. Bad example. I guess
> "python image position" would give a useful answer...)
>
> Another example, I found in pygame functions that would return
> something called an "EventList". But whenever I searched for
> "EventList" to see what is that, I got back to the page with
> the functions that returned the EventList :-)
>
> Also, basic things like how does "+" operate on object "xxx"
> are impossible to google search.

For which language they are? And in python you've got the interpreter loop,
either explicitly by invoking python on the commandline and entering some
statements, or implicitly by putting a

import pdb; pdb.set_trace()

call on a place where you are interested in toying around with objects. Then
you start poking around, and find out that a Eventlist is nothing but a
list - of events.

I think you just have to adjust to the much more dynamic nature of python a
bit.

Diez