Fortran vs Python - Newbie Question

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Mon Mar 26 11:23:44 EDT 2007

In article <1hvknm0.ph0nmh4ucf31N%aleax at mac.com>,
Alex Martelli <aleax at mac.com> wrote:
>Nomad.C at gmail.com <Nomad.C at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > So I'ld suggest to start with downloading the Enthought edition of Python,
>> > and you can judge for yourself within 10 minutes,
>> > if it's fast enough.
>> >
>> > cheers,
>> > Stef Mientki
>>
>> Is there a mac version??
>
><http://download.enthought.com/MacEnthon/ReadMe.html> but it's self
>labeled as "0.1 Test Release" i.e. somewhat preliminary; it claims to
>support only Panther (10.3) and its 2.3.0 Python (no claims for Tiger,
>10.4, and its 2.3.5 Python, nor for other Python Mac istalls yet).
>
>If you're just trying to learn and check things out, it might be better
>to get a more recent Python from python.org (2.5 or 2.4.4) and the
>various other packages as and when you need them (you can use the
>MacEnthon list as a guide:-).  You'll need a C compiler to be sure you
>can install any package from sources -- Apple's XCode includes gcc, it's
>free, and it's the safest choice (but it's a HUGE download, as it comes
>with a lot of stuff -- I don't think Apple offers a simple way to
>install "just" gcc and minimal supporting tools).
>

>Alex

Yes and no.  Alex, while useful scientific computing under Mac OS X
will almost certainly eventually involve installation of XCode and
so on, Nomad.C can start to learn Python without a need to install
ANYTHING.  As you know, Python is already there, and the version that
comes with 10.4 (2.3.5, as nearly as I can easily tell) is easily
adequate to take him through the Tutorial (with minor exceptions).

Also, while I, like you, am aware of no minimal-gcc package from
Apple, I think third parties make it available.  However, I'm not
motivated enough at this point to track down the details.  I think
Nomad.C should start with what he has under 10.4, and plan to move
on later to all of XCode.