Sorting strings containing special characters (german 'Umlaute')

Bjoern Schliessmann usenet-mail-0306.20.chr0n0ss at spamgourmet.com
Fri Mar 2 11:40:36 EST 2007

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
> DierkErdmann at mail.com writes:

>> For sorting the letter "Ä" is supposed to be treated like "Ae",
>> therefore sorting this list should yield
>> l = ["Aber, "Ärger", "Beere"]
>
> Are you sure?  Maybe I'm thinking of another language, I thought Ä
> shold be sorted together with A, but after A if the words are
> otherwise equal.

In German, there are some different forms:

- the classic sorting for e.g. word lists: umlauts and plain vowels
are of same value (like you mentioned): ä = a

- name list sorting for e.g. phone books: umlauts have the same
value as their substitutes (like Dierk described): ä = ae

There are others, too, but those are the most widely used.

Regards,

Björn

--
BOFH excuse #277: