cheese shop: tagging and dating

Richard Jones richardjones at optushome.com.au
Sun Mar 18 17:01:25 EDT 2007

Jorge Godoy wrote:
> "metaperl.etc at gmail.com" <metaperl.etc at gmail.com> writes:
>> The first thing I look at when examining a module is how often it is
>> updated. Unfortunately, the entries there dont show this. Eg:
>>
>>   http://www.python.org/pypi/PySimpleXML/1.0
>>
>> Second, it seems that tagging is more popular than the hierarchical
>> browsing method currently offered by Cheese Shop. Are there efforts
>> underway to support a tagging interface for the cheeseshop?
>
> I believe hierarchies are easier when there's a lot of information.  You
> go browsing by topic.
>
> If there are only tags available, you'd have to look for hundreds of tags
> to see if none of the possible names for the "thing" has been used
> ("database", "db", "relational", "orm", "mapper", etc.).

Jorge presents a perfect example of why I've always resisted adding
arbitrary keywords as meta-data to the Cheese Shop set.

If you want arbitrary searches like this (say you think that the database
module you want to find has "tagged" itself with "db"), use the search box.
It'll search names and descriptions. And then when you don't find a match,
you can try "database" and then "relational" and then ... or you could use
the browse interface to search using the one valid term, "Topic ::
Database"

This meta-data isn't about enabling package maintainer artistic creativity
in describing packages, it's about making packages discoverable for end
users.

    Richard