XML/encoding/prolog/python hell...

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 14:06:28 EDT 2007

On Mar 28, 12:40 pm, "fscked" <fsckedag... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am a beginning pythoner and I am having a terrible time trying to
> figure out how to do something that (it would seeme to me) should be
> fairly simple.
>
> I have a CSV file of unknown encoding and I need to parse that file to
> get the fields <--- DONE
> I need to create an xml document that has the proper prolog and
> namespace information in it. <--- NOT DONE
> I need it to be encoded properly<--- Looks right in IE, not right in
> any other app.
>
> I should say that I have googled my butt off, tried ElementTree,
> CSV2XML, and various other things and cannot get any of them to work.
>
> A sample of the output I am looking for is as follows:

> <ns2:boxes xmlns:ns2="Boxes">
>         <ns2:box id="9" mac="333333" d_a="2006" hw_ver="v1.1" sw_ver="3"
> pl_h="No Data" name="Lounge" address="here" phone="555-5555"
> country="US" city="LA"/>
>         <ns2:box id="7" mac="444444" d_a="2005" hw_ver="v1.0" sw_ver="3"
> pl_h="No Data" name="MyHouse" address="there" phone="555-5556"
> country="US" city="New York"/>
> </ns2:boxes>
>
> Is there some fundamental thing I am not getting? I cannot get
> 'tostrings' to work in ElementTree and I cannot figure the prolog out.
>
> I posted a similar message back in January, but haven't had much luck.
>
> PS
> No I haven't been trying to do this since January, more important
> things came up at work and I have just revived this. :)

I've never done this, but I found a recipe on the ActiveState website
that looks like it would be helpful:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/159100

I think you could modify it to make it work.

You could probably also use a combination of the csv module and the
pyxml module (links below).

http://pyxml.sourceforge.net/topics/
http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman/pyxmlfaq.html

I also found a Python XML book: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythonxml/chapter/ch01.html

I hope that helps. I've started my own adventure into XML with XRC and
wxPython.

Mike