Python in a desktop environment

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Sun Mar 11 13:56:14 EDT 2007

David Cramer a écrit :
> On Mar 10, 10:52 pm, "sjdevn... at yahoo.com" <sjdevn... at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>David Cramer wrote:
>>
>>>If you had an application that you were about to begin development on
>>>which you wanted to be cross platform (at least Mac and Windows),
>>>would you suggest using c++ and Python?
>>
>>I'd strongly consider a pure python solution (I'd choose wxpython),
>>but if I needed to code backend stuff in a lower level language I'd
>>use C rather than C++.
>

> Well we want it to be very robust,

Which is a pretty good reason to favor Python over C or C++.

> and python isn't exactly the
> fastest language, or one with the lowest overhead :)

It's not exactly one of the slowest languages nor one with the highest
overhead neither. Chances are you'll have a fully-functional production
level app in Python *way* before you have a first alpha in C++. If by
then you *really* have some performance problem, it will be time to port
the relevant modules to C extensions.