2 new comment-like characters in Python to aid development?

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Fri Mar 9 05:30:07 EST 2007

dbhbarton at googlemail.com <dbhbarton at googlemail.com> wrote:
>  What if 2 new 'special' comment-like characters were added to Python?:
>

>  1. The WIP (Work In Progress) comment:

I use # FIXME for this purpose or /* FIXME */ in C etc.

I have an emacs macro which shows it up in bright red / yellow text so
it is easy to see and the company has a system which makes a web page
with a list of all the FIXMEs on.

FIXME is easy to grep for, language neutral and a lot of people use
something similar (eg XXX or TODO).

>  2. The HALT comment:

You can so this with triple quotes.  ''' and ''' (if you normally use
""" """ for docstrings)

Python just ignores strings that lie around.