How to receive a FILE* from Python under MinGW?

John Pye john.pye at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 10:34:55 EDT 2007

On Mar 22, 7:23 pm, Giovanni Bajo <n... at ask.me> wrote:
> I personally don't use MSYS so I don't know exactly. I use SCons too, and I
> simply run it from the normal command prompt.
>
> I *believe* it's sufficient to unpack MSYS somewhere (you can either unpack it
> *over* the directory where you installed my GCC package, or somewhere else, I
> believe it works either way); since the GCC binaries are added to the system
> PATH by the installer, you should able to run it anyway. You can try by simply
> invoking "gcc -v" at the MSYS prompt and see if it's picking up the right
> version of GCC.
>
> I would appreciate if you give some feedback about this. I would like to
> incorporate your findings on the webpage.

Hi Giovanni

I downloaded your package and installed it in c:/mingw1. It complained
that it could not detect Python, although I have Python 2.4 installed
on my system (did you check HKCU as well as HKLM, perhaps?)

I note that the gccmrt utility does not work from MSYS. You will need
to provide a shell-script equivalent version, in order for that to be
useful for MSYS users. So I opened a cmd prompt and ran the command,
then restarted my MSYS session. There is also a need to be able to
query the *current state* of the gccmrt option.

Next I built my code. It all compiled OK, all the way through to my
NSIS bundle. So that was nice. It includes gfortran, flex, bison, SWIG/
Python and Tcl/Tk linkage: a bit of a coup.

BUT when I try to run my program, I get a windows error msgbox,
"python.exe - Entry Point Not Found: The procedure entry point _ctype
could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcr71.dll".

I don't know what the cause of that missing symbol could be, unless it
has something to do with the fact that I am linking with -lgfortran.

As well as the python module that fails to load (above) I also have a
Tcl/Tk based executable which crashes on launch. Also seems to be
something with msvcr71, but I can't tell for sure.

Have you got any ideas?