New to Python

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Mon Mar 5 16:43:09 EST 2007

dnwurtz at gmail.com a écrit :
> I am trying to get a program to add up input from the user to get to
> the number 100 using a loop.  However, I am having some issues.  Here
> is what I have so far.  I know I am just trying to hard, but I am
> stuck.

Where ?

May I suggest this reading ?

> Thank you for any help.
>
> print "We need to count to 100"
>
> high_number = 100
> total = 0
>
> number = input("Enter your first number ")

Please re-read *very carefully* the doc for input(). Then switch to
raw_input() and perform appropriate validation and conversion.

> sum = number + total

don't use 'sum' as an identifier, unless you don't mind shadowing the
builtin sum() function.

> while sum < high_number:
>     print "Not there yet..."
>     number = input("Enter another number ")
>
> print "We are there!!!"

We're not. number won't be automagically added to sum.