[python-advocacy] A Pythonic Way to Measure and Improve Your Programming Skills?

Brad Allen brad at allendev.com
Sat Mar 10 12:54:00 EST 2007

At 9:10 AM -0800 3/10/07, Michael Bernstein wrote:
>On Sat, 2007-03-10 at 10:01 -0600, Brad Allen wrote:
>
>>  When I discussed this problem with Michael Bernstein at PyCon he suggested
>>  the idea of creating a "chroot jail" for each web session which could run
>>  the Python interpreter in a secure sandbox. That might be easier than giving
>>  each session a whole virtual server.
>
>Note that this wasn't an original idea of mine, I got it from brief
>mentions associated with two existing interactive python-in-a-web-page
>implementations:
>
>         Try Python: http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/try_python/
>
>         TryPy: http://trac.pocoo.org/wiki/TryPy

Cool! The first link appears to work with Firefox and provides a real example
of using a Python interactive prompt via a non-local web interface.
Interestingly, it doesn't seem to use Crunchy, but instead uses TryPy.

Apparently you can't define classes or functions with TryPy, but I recall you
can using Crunchy. This is important for creating tutorials in which you
ask the student to define a class or function to solve a problem.