Python in a desktop environment

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Sun Mar 11 06:18:37 EDT 2007

David Cramer schrieb:
> On Mar 10, 10:52 pm, "sjdevn... at yahoo.com" <sjdevn... at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>> David Cramer wrote:
>>> If you had an application that you were about to begin development on
>>> which you wanted to be cross platform (at least Mac and Windows),
>>> would you suggest using c++ and Python?
>> I'd strongly consider a pure python solution (I'd choose wxpython),
>> but if I needed to code backend stuff in a lower level language I'd
>> use C rather than C++.
>
> Well we want it to be very robust, and python isn't exactly the
> fastest language, or one with the lowest overhead :)

Erm, and what has _robustness_ with fast & less overhead to do? It's
exactly the other way round, a python program is much less likely to
crash that C/C++, and if so in manners that are much easier to manage
and fix.

I've done extensive GUI-development with PyQt, and can say that it's a
very productive and powerful combination. And GUI-code usually isn't
troublesome performance-wise.

Diez