enumerating processes

Shane Geiger sgeiger at ncee.net
Tue Mar 27 12:53:58 EDT 2007

> I believe you are looking for os.getpid()
I apologize for providing that bit of incorrect info.

It looks to me as if Python 1.5 had os.process which might have done
what you wanted (although perhaps not in an OS-independent way).  I
wonder why there isn't an OS-independent way to do that in Python now.

After having seen your message about tomcat.exe, I assume we are talking
just about Windows.  ;-)  This looks like an excellent way to deal with
processes on Windows:

# http://tgolden.sc.sabren.com/python/wmi_cookbook.html#running_processes

# List all running processes

import wmi
c = wmi.WMI ()
for process in c.Win32_Process ():
  print process.ProcessId, process.Name

# List all running notepad processes

import wmi
c = wmi.WMI ()
for process in c.Win32_Process (name="notepad.exe"):
  print process.ProcessId, process.Name

# Create and then destroy a new notepad process

import wmi
c = wmi.WMI ()
process_id, return_value = c.Win32_Process.Create
(CommandLine="notepad.exe")
for process in c.Win32_Process (ProcessId=process_id):
  print process.ProcessId, process.Name

result = process.Terminate ()

--
Shane Geiger
IT Director

Leading the Campaign for Economic and Financial Literacy