Associate image name with list item

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Mon Mar 26 22:32:11 EDT 2007

I'm trying to avoid a *lot* of typing in my Tkinter application by
associating image names with items in a list. Here is my sample list:

self.catlist = [
             'all', 'installed', 'base', 'crypto', 'database', 'devel',
         'editors', 'games', 'gnome', 'graphics', 'kde', 'languages',
'libs', 'libs_perlmods',
         'libs_pythonmods', 'libs_rubymods', 'net', 'sci', 'shells',
'sound', 'text', 'web',
         'x11_system', 'x11-wm', 'x11'
             ]

I've also already created a bunch of images with names that correspond
to the list above, i.e. self.all, self.installed, and so on.  Here's the
rest of my code:

for item in self.catlist:
             print item
             self.categorytable.insert(END, item)
	    self.categorytable.cellconfigure("end,0", image=self.item)

This yields the following error:

AttributeError: item

because, of course, I don't actually have an image called self.item.

What I'm trying to do is get the value of the variable "item" and plug
it into the image name, so that self.item actually corresponds to
self.installed, self.base, etc. Trying something like

self.categorytable.cellconfigure("end,0", image=self.%s % item)

just yields a syntax error: SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin
http://www.codebykevin.com