Fortran vs Python - Newbie Question

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed Mar 28 03:03:29 EDT 2007

Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 06:40:49 -0700, kyosohma wrote:
>
>> Fortran also appears to be a compiled language, whereas Python is an
>> interpreted language.
>
>Sheesh. Do Java developers go around telling everybody that Java is an
>interpreted language? I don't think so.
>
>What do you think the "c" in ".pyc" files stands for? "Cheese"?

Well, I'm being a bit argumentative here, but it's hard to deny that the
use of "compiled" in the context of .pyc (or .javac) is very different from
the use of "compiled" in the context of running gcc.  Once upon a time,
Basic enthusiasts would have used the word "tokenized" to describe .pyc
files.

A .pyc file is, in fact, interpreted by an intermediate language
interpreter.  I don't understand why anyone would be embarrassed by that.
Is it fast enough?  It certainly is for MY needs.
Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.