os.path.basename() - only Windows OR *nix?

Thomas Ploch Thomas.Ploch at gmx.net
Wed Mar 14 15:19:20 EDT 2007

Steve Holden schrieb:
> Clearly if form['uploadfile'] is returning the client's path information
> you do have to remove that somehow before further processing, which also
> means you need to deduce what the client architecture is to correctly
> remove path data. Of course this also leaves open the question "what
> does a Mac client return?", and you might want to cater for that also.

I tested from linux and Mac OS, and on both os.path.basename() works as
expected (since the server it runs on is a UNIX one). That brings me to
the question, how Do I a) get the cients architecture and b) send the
architecture of the client through cgi.FieldStorage()?

> I suspect you will also find that there are at least some circumstances
> under which a Unix browser will also include path information.

Which ones should that be? Since os.path.basename() _is_ doing the right
thing on *nix style paths (Mac OS is not different there), I cant think
of other circumstances.

> I presume you are looking to use the same filename that the user
> provided on the client? Does this mean that each user's files are
> stored in different directories? Otherwise it's not always a good idea
> to use filenames provided by the user for files on the server anyway.

Yes, each User has his own directory. Files get timestamped and then put
into the corresponding directory. It is just that having
'C:\a\very\long\path\file.ext' as a filename on the server is not nice.

Thomas