Howto pass exceptions between threads

Alexander Eisenhuth newsuser at stacom-software.de
Mon Mar 5 04:36:41 EST 2007

Hallo Alltogether,

I've searched in this mailing list, but it seems to me that there is no general
approach to pass exceptions from one thread to another.

I think most application do a unique way of handling "unhandled exceptions", at
least they (should) try to log them.

The following discussion seems to me most valuable (Sorry for the long URL, I
don't know a way of shorter)

http://groups.google.de/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/a2ebb2a2f611779b/4b820c20ff3fcea8?lnk=gst&q=%2Bexception+%2Bthread&rnum=6&hl=de#4b820c20ff3fcea8
http://groups.google.de/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/2c61c06795f525f3/348a8d9e85883fe3?lnk=gst&q=pass+%2Bexception+%2Bthread&rnum=1&hl=de#348a8d9e85883fe3

I've the feeling that if you're using the python class threading.Thread you've a
unique interface of handling it. (thread synchronizing + exception raising)

But' when you've a C++ extension, that uses it's own thread implementation and
your exceptions happens in python code (but from a thread that is controlled by
your extension) you have another problem.

Maybe I've overseen something in the python docu, so I ask for the solutions,
concepts, hints ... you solved the problem.

Regards
Alexander