How to build a Windows service using win32?

Gregor Mosheh gregor at hostgis.com
Wed Mar 7 05:25:56 EST 2007

I'm trying to write a Win32 service. The following is straight from Python
Programming on Win32 and it doesn't work. Is that book out of date; is
there a new way to do services? I searched Google for hours trying to find
any other method, and have been beating on this one for 5 more hours.

The present error is:

C:\Tester>python tester.py debug
Debugging service Tester - press Ctrl+C to stop.
Error 0xC0000004 - Python could not import the service's module

<type 'exceptions.ImportError'>: No module named service

The code is:

import win32serviceutil, win32service, win32event

class Service(win32serviceutil.ServiceFramework):
    _svc_name_         = "EDMS-to-CG"
    _svc_display_name_ = "EDMS-to-CG Syncer"
    _svc_description_  = "Uploaded the EDMS database to Cartograph"

    def __init__(self, args):
        win32serviceutil.ServiceFramework.__init__(self, args)
        self.hWaitStop = win32event.CreateEvent(None, 0, 0, None)

    def SvcStop(self):
        self.ReportServiceStatus(win32service.SERVICE_STOP_PENDING)
        win32event.SetEvent(self.hWaitStop)

    def SvcDoRun(self):
        pausetime = 60 * 1000
        while True:
            stopsignal = win32event.WaitForSingleObject(self.hWaitStop,
pausetime)
            if stopsignal == win32event.WAIT_OBJECT_0: break
            self.runOneLoop()

    def runOneLoop(self):
        import servicemanager
        servicemanager.LogInfoMsg('Running')

win32serviceutil.HandleCommandLine(Service)