PyPy 1.0: JIT compilers for free and more

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu Mar 29 06:17:45 EDT 2007

Christian Tismer wrote:
>> something
>> special, I am unable to dream of? Or is it purely academic project to
>> create Python VM in Python?
>
> It will eventually give you a GIL-free VM, and it already gives you
> a lot more than you have dreamt of.
>
> There is one feature missing that is probably hard to add.
> Handling the 'posters who are not willing to read before they post'
> syndrome.

I come from an academic background (sadly not in computer science) so I
understand the need to promote the abstract advances that are being made here.

However, I am a bit confused about the applicability of pypy. All the talk of
backends, annotation object spaces etc etc may make some sense to really
interested parties, but I would like to know what I can do in real terms with
the new interpreters?

The demo javascript stuff seems a bit fake since others have already done some
work in that direction already using ordinary python. RPython may be larger or
smaller than those subsets, but that's not clear.

I would be interested to know if it's possible to point a tool at an existing
python-2.4 module and wrap it into a much faster extension that can be used by
my CPython stuff. I know there is preliminary work in that direction.

I am hugely encouraged by this

C:\Python\devel\pypy-1.0.0>\python24\python \python\lib\test\pystone.py
Pystone(1.1) time for 50000 passes = 1.49586
This machine benchmarks at 33425.6 pystones/second

C:\Python\devel\pypy-1.0.0>.\pypy-c.exe \python\lib\test\pystone.py
Pystone(1.1) time for 50000 passes = 2.16123e-005
This machine benchmarks at 2.3135e+009 pystones/second

:) not

--
Robin Becker