exit to interpreter?

belinda thom bthom at cs.hmc.edu
Fri Mar 23 13:52:09 EDT 2007

Hi,

I'm writing a function that polls the user for keyboard input,
looping until it has determined that the user has entered a valid
string of characters, in which case it returns that string so it can
be processed up the call stack. My problem is this. I'd also like it
to handle a special string (e.g. 'quit'), in which case control
should return to the Python command line as opposed to returning the
string up the call stack.

sys.exit seemed like a good choice, but it exits the python interpreter.

I could use an exception for this purpose, but was wondering if
there's a better way?

--b