Phase change material ...

Brian Whatcott betwys1 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 17 14:13:26 EDT 2007

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 20:23:27 GMT, Dan Bloomquist
<public21 at lakeweb.com> wrote:

>thermate at india.com wrote:
>
>> On Mar 8, 5:57 pm, "martinl" <goo... at mllengineering.ca> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi All,
>>>I'm looking for a substance that does a phase change at between 60 and
>>>100 C.

>I settled for hurricane wax. (IGI-1260). But that, because I felt it
>would suit my application, domestic heating. I have 3 thousand pounds of
>the stuff.

>http://lakeweb.com/boiler/tubes.jpg

>Best, Dan.

I don't know how I could have overlooked this note for several days.
It sounds like a wonderfully adventurous design.
I have not been keeping up with the literature,  but phase change
media ought to be the way to go.
After all, if four tons of ice could hold a house down with a temp
differential of 20 degreesC or so, then  1.5 tons of wax might have a
good  chance of holding the temperature up with a temp differential
 of 80-20degC    = 60 degrees.

Wonder what the latent heat is? Less than 340 kJ/kg I imagine.
How much did it cost?

Brian  Whatcott   Altus OK