A Pythonic Way to Measure and Improve Your Programming Skills?

André andre.roberge at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 13:24:10 EST 2007

On Mar 10, 1:54 pm, Brad Allen <b... at allendev.com> wrote:
> At 9:10 AM -0800 3/10/07, Michael Bernstein wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 2007-03-10 at 10:01 -0600, Brad Allen wrote:
>
> >>  When I discussed this problem with Michael Bernstein at PyCon he suggested
> >>  the idea of creating a "chroot jail" for each web session which could run
> >>  the Python interpreter in a secure sandbox. That might be easier than giving
> >>  each session a whole virtual server.
>
> >Note that this wasn't an original idea of mine, I got it from brief
> >mentions associated with two existing interactive python-in-a-web-page
> >implementations:
>
> >         Try Python:http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/try_python/
>
> >         TryPy:http://trac.pocoo.org/wiki/TryPy
>
> Cool! The first link appears to work with Firefox and provides a real example
> of using a Python interactive prompt via a non-local web interface.
> Interestingly, it doesn't seem to use Crunchy, but instead uses TryPy.

try_python was one of the things that inspired me to write Crunchy.

> Apparently you can't define classes or functions with TryPy, but I recall you
> can using Crunchy. This is important for creating tutorials in which you
> ask the student to define a class or function to solve a problem.

Yes, Crunchy gives you full access to a regular Python interpreter.
In a classroom environment, you can even write some doctests that have
to be satisfied by the student's code.  One example included in the
documentation requires the user to define a class to solve a
particular problem.

I think that it would be great indeed if Crunchy could be made
available from the web in a secure way.  Hopefully, by the time we
make the 1.0 release, Crunchy will have been found to be useful enough
that someone with the appropriate resources will make this happen.

André