distributed queue?

Hendrik van Rooyen mail at microcorp.co.za
Sun Mar 11 06:27:32 EDT 2007

 "Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

> Bjoern Schliessmann <usenet-mail-0306.20.chr0n0ss at spamgourmet.com> writes:
> > (Why does everyone think that "concurrency" equals "usage of
> > multiple threads"?)
>
> Well, it doesn't necessarily, but that's easiest a lot of the time.
>
> > Try Twisted for your networking needs.
>
> I should try to understand Twisted better one of these days, but it's
> much more confusing than threads.  Also, the function I want to
> parallelize does blocking operations (database lookups), so in Twisted
> I'd have to figure out some way to do them asynchronously.

I would think of making 'pullers' in the remote machines in front of
whatever it is you are making parallel to get the next thing to do,
from a 'queue server' in the originating machine to distribute the
stuff.

I am not sure if Pyro can help you as I have only read about it and
not used it but I think its worth a look. If it were a one on one
setup I would not hesitate to recommend it but I can't remember
if it is any good for one to many scenarios.

- Hendrik