Readline()

Taylor, Stuart Stuart.Taylor at disney.com
Fri Mar 16 06:27:48 EDT 2007

for anyone who gets this same problem i managed to resolve the issue
using two threads.
The main program spawned a subprocess and used readlines to read the
output. The process spawned was a script which executes a command using
a thread. The thread reads the output from this command using readline.
Within the main loop of the script there is a while loop which checks
when the last output from the command was and if the time elapsed is
greater than timeout the script prints to the stdout a string called
timeout.
In the main program the readline compares every output to see if it
matches this sting. if it does kill process :)

I'm sure this code could be implemented better but it works and got me
out of a hole

heres the thread script which contains the thread class and the time out
loop:

import datetime
import time
import threading
import subprocess
import os
import sys
class outputThread(threading.Thread):
    """
    Thread is used to print the output of a command to the stdout
    """
    def __init__(self,threadCommand, name="thread", *args, **kwargs):
        threading.Thread.__init__(self, *args, **kwargs)
        self.name       = name
        self.killed     = 0
        self.counter    = 0
        self.command    = threadCommand
        self.retval     = None
        self.Set_Hit()
    def run(self):
        self.Proc       = subprocess.Popen(self.command, cwd =
os.getcwd(),stdin=subprocess.PIPE, stdout = subprocess.PIPE, stderr =
subprocess.STDOUT)
        self.retval     = None
        self.Set_Hit()
        while self.retval == None and not self.killed:
            line = self.Proc.stdout.readline()
            print line.rstrip("\r\n")
            sys.stdout.flush()
            self.Set_Hit()
            self.retval=self.Proc.poll()
    def Set_Hit(self):
        self.last_time = datetime.datetime.now()
    def Get_Hit(self):
        return self.last_time

if __name__ == "__main__":
    """
    This script is designed to put a timeout loop over a thread.
    The intention of this thread is to perform a command and have a
timer loop over
    checking for the last text ouput from the command.
    If the loop exceeds the set time limit the command will stop reading
the output from the thread
    """
    command     = []
    timeout     = 5
    maxCounter  = timeout
    curCounter  = 0
    strCounter  = 0
    if len(sys.argv) > 2:
        try:
            timeout   = int(sys.argv[1])
        except:
            print "time out value is not a float"
            sys.exit(1)
        for argPos in range(2,len(sys.argv)):
            print "arg = %s" % sys.argv[argPos]
            command.append(sys.argv[argPos])
    else:
        print "not enough arguments"
        sys.exit(1)
    thread1 = outputThread(command,name="thread1")
    thread1.start()
    while True:
        if not thread1.retval == None:
            sys.exit(0)
        #Get current time and when timeout should occur
        currentTime     = datetime.datetime.now()
        elapsedTime     = thread1.Get_Hit() +
datetime.timedelta(minutes=timeout)
        #Check Elapsed time
        if elapsedTime < currentTime: