Documentation for "str()" could use some adjustment.

Daniel Nogradi nogradi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 05:02:59 EDT 2007

> The Python documentation for "str" says
> "str([object]) :
>      Return a string containing a nicely printable representation of an
> object."
>
> However, there's no mention of the fact that "str" of a Unicode string
> with non-ASCII characters will raise a conversion exception.  The
> documentation (and several Python books) seem to indicate that "str" will
> produce some "printable representation" for anything, not raise an
> exception.
>
> I know, it was proposed in PEP 349 to change "str" to return Unicode
> strings, and that's coming someday, along with all-Unicode Python,
> but meanwhile, the documentation should be clear about this.

Hi John, I'm not at all an expert around here but my understanding of
the workflow is that bug reports should be submitted to the tracker at
sourceforge. There is no guarantee that they will be noticed there but
the chances there are much higher than for a message on the mailing
list. I just mention this because I've seen your mysqld, urllib and
other potentially important bug reports here with no action taken but
maybe submitting them to sourceforge would attract some developers.