transfer data from one machine to another

Rikishi 42 fsck_spam at telenet.be
Sun Mar 4 10:03:35 EST 2007

On Sunday 04 March 2007 13:56, bahoo wrote:

> I have ssh access to two linux machines (both WITHOUT root account),
> and I'd like to copy data from one to another.
> Since the directory structure is different, I want to specify in a
> script (ideally in python, because that's what I want to learn) what
> to copy over like this:
>
> source: /home/john/folderA
> destination: /home/smith/folderB
>
> I'm a newbie on linux and ssh networking and python, so your
> suggestions are welcome! A small working example would be appreciated!

Try rsync, if you need a second run, it will only copy what has been
modified in the source.

rsync -var -e ssh /home/john/folderA name at computerB:/home/smith/folderB

Should be enough.
Remove 'v' for less verbose operation.

--
Research is what I'm doing, when I don't know what I'm doing.
(von Braun)