fine grain logging cotrol

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Thu Mar 22 08:39:21 EDT 2007

I need to to be able to conditionally log based on the method the log
statement is in and one other factor like a log level.  in order to do
so, I need to be able to automatically find out the name of the method
and its class but I haven't found out how to do that yet.

for example,

class catus(Felis):
   def Siamese_cat( yowl, purr, demand_food):

     log("state of litter box %s"% litter_box.smell, level = 1)

If the table of methods logged contains "catus.Siamese_cat", then I
would expect to see the output of the log statements in a log file.  If
not then I wouldn't see anything in the log.

Has somebody done this already?  Is it even possible to do without
manually adding the class and method information for every log statement?

a related question is using signals for reloading configurations etc.  I
have to find any good examples of how to use signals to cause a
long-running process to reload external data.  Any good pointers?

--- eric