Project organization and import

Martin Unsal martinunsal at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 12:49:55 EST 2007

On Mar 6, 9:19 am, "Chris Mellon" <arka... at gmail.com> wrote:
> You do? Or do you only have trouble because you don't like using "from
> foo import Foo" because you need to do more work to reload such an
> import?

More work, like rewriting __import__ and reload??? :)

There's a point where you should blame the language, not the
programmer. Are you saying I'm lazy just because I don't want to mess
with __import__?

> What makes you think that the exposed namespace has to be isomorphic
> with the filesystem?

I don't; you do!

I was clearly talking about files and you assumed I was talking about
namespace. That's Pythonic thinking... and I don't mean that in a good
way!

> If you want to break a module into multiple packages and then stick
> the files that make up the package in bizarre spots all over the
> filesystem, can you give a reason why?

Because I have written a project with 50,000 lines of Python and I'm
trying to organize it in such a way that it'll scale up cleanly by
another order of magnitude. Because I've worked on projects with
millions of lines of code and I know about how such things are
organized. It's funny, I'm a newbie to Python but it seems like I'm
one of the only people here thinking about it as a large scale
development language rather than a scripting language.

Martin