can't start Apache on Mac OS X--no listening sockets available?

half.italian at gmail.com half.italian at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 22:47:47 EDT 2007

On Jun 25, 7:23 pm, 7stud <bbxx789_0... at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to get Apache set up on my system so I can use mod_python.
> I installed Apache 2.2.4 according to the following instructions:
>
> http://switch.richard5.net/isp-in-a-box-v2/installing-apache-on-mac-o...
>
> and everything seemed to install correctly, but I can't start Apache.
> I typed in the following command:
>
> $ sudo /Library/Apache2/bin/apachectl start
> Password:
>
> and I got this error message:
>
> httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified
> domain name, using tms-computer.local for ServerName
> (48)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address
> 0.0.0.0:80
> Unable to open logs
>
> Any ideas?

Do you have "Web Sharing" in the prefs on as well?  Possibly the built-
in apache is already started on port 80.

I've had luck with these: http://www.serverlogistics.com/downloads.php

Except it's tuff to compile new versions into these.  I failed at
getting PHP5 running under it, but they work well out of the box.

~Sean