can't start Apache on Mac OS X--no listening sockets available?

7stud bbxx789_05ss at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 26 02:42:03 EDT 2007

Ok.  If I try to start Personal Web Sharing while Apache is running,
it says  "Web Sharing starting up...", but it never does.  Then if I
close the window and restart my imac, my imac boots up with Personal
Web Sharing turned on.

I still can't figure out where the page that says "It works!" is
located.  It must be in the pre installed apache directory, but I have
no idea where it is on my imac.  And, I don't understand why the page
isn't being served up by my new installation since I started the new
Apache using the command:

$sudo /Library/Apache2/bin/apachectl start

I didn't start the pre-installed Apache.

Also, when I look at the Activity monitor, there is an httpd root
process with pid 285, and then there are 6 daemon http processes with
pids 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291.  What is that all about?