Comments appreciated on Erlang inspired Process class.

Brian L. Troutwine goofyheadedpunk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 14:20:33 EDT 2007

> http://wiki.python.org/moin/ParallelProcessing

Ah, I'd forgotten about that page of the wiki; I hadn't seen it for a few
months.

> Do you have any opinions about those projects listed on the above page
> that are similar to your own? My contribution (pprocess), along with
> others (processing, pp...), can offer similar facilities, but the
> styles of interfacing with spawned processes may be somewhat
> different.

The interface was my most important design goal, in that I wanted it to be a
dead simple "Drop in some code and forget about it for a while. Retrieve the
results later as if you'd called the function yourself." sort of thing.
Secondly I wanted share nothing parallelism in order to avoid the nastier
bits of implementing concurrent code.

delegate doesn't fit the bill because it returns its results in a dictionary.
pp is rather more feature-full and rather less simple as a result. processing
is a clone of threading, more or less, and voids itself for not being simple
and having shared objects between processes (a nifty trick to be sure). POSH
uses a shared memory approach and hasn't been updated, it would seem, since
2003. pprocess isn't as simple as I wanted, though rather more simple than
all the others. remoteD uses shared memory.

I suppose, then, my opinion is that they're not brain-dead simple enough to
fulfill my desired style of process creation. (I'm smitten with Erlang.)