Python's "only one way to do it" philosophy isn't good?

Cousin Stanley cousinstanley at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 16 11:25:39 EDT 2007

> Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> wrote:
>> > perception that, at their roots, Scheme, C and Python share one
>> > philosophical underpinning (one that's extremely rare among programming
>> > languages as a whole) -- an appreciation of SIMPLICITY AND UNIFORMITY as
>> > language characteristics.
>>
>> Out of curiosity, what do you consider some of the worst offenders as far
>> as overly complex and inconsistent languages go, and why?
>
> I think the Original Sin in that regard was PL/I: it tried to have all
> the "cool features" of the three widespread languages of the time,
> Cobol, Algol _and_ Fortran (and then some), because it aimed to replace
> all three and become the "one programming language".  As a result, it
> tended to have two or more ways to perform any given task, typically
> inspired by some of the existing languages, often with the addition of
> new ones made out of whole cloth.
>
> PL/I (mostly in various subset and "extended subset" forms) was widely
> used in the implementation of Multics, and I believe that the statement
> in the "Spirit of C" was at least partly inspired by that experience
> (just like "Unix" was originally intended as a pun on "Multics"
> underscoring the drastically simpler philosophy of the new OS).

Cousin Alex ....

  With regards to PL/I a phrase from an old ( 1969 ) song
  named "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" comes to mind ....

    Ya take what you need and ya leave the rest ....

  I  really  liked programming in pl/1
  and did a little over 3 years of Multics time
  in San Juan, Puerto Rico ....

    http://multicians.org/site-prha.html

--
Stanley C. Kitching