newbie question: parsing street name from address

cjl cjlesh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 09:47:24 EDT 2007

P:

I am working on a project that requires geocoding, and have written a
very simple geocoder that uses the Google service.

I would like to be able to extract the name of the street from the
addresses in my data, however they vary significantly. Here a some
examples:

25 Main St
2500 14th St
12 Bennet Pkwy
Pearl St
Bennet Rd and Main st
19th St

As you can see, sometimes I have the house number, and sometimes I do
not. Sometimes the street name is a number. Sometimes I simply have
the names of intersecting streets.

I would like to be able to parse the above into the following:

Main St
14th St
Bennet Pkwy
Pearl St
Bennet Rd
Main St
19th St

How might I approach this complex parsing problem?

-CJL