trouble with sqlite under debian etch

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 14:52:09 EDT 2007

I was trying to follow the sqlalchemy tutorial on my debian etch box
and got stuck with installation.  Any help/pointers will be welcome.

First after installing sqlalchemy needed some sqlite package
synaptic showed me packages python-pysqlite, python-pysqlite1.1 and
python-pysqlite2.

Theres some confusion regarding numbers: python-pysqlite2 is for
sqlite3 or some such thing

Tried python-pysqlite1.1 and got errors. Tried 2 and got version warnings.

Downloaded the tgz and did a setup build followed by a setup install

Now the
>>> db = create_engine('sqlite:///tutorial.db')
gives me no module _sqlite