Tkinter, tkMessagebox and overrideredirect

marcoberi at gmail.com marcoberi at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 03:04:24 EDT 2007

On Jun 6, 3:38 pm, "Eric Brunel" <see.signat... at no.spam> wrote:
> My only advice would then be to avoid using the standard functions to
> create dialog boxes, and to create them yourself. For example:
>  from Tkinter import *
[snip]
> app.root.mainloop()
> But even with this, you may run into problems. For example, on my Linux
> box with my window manager, the main window goes behind all other windows
> once the button in the dialog is clicked. So I'd say that if you want to
> bypass the window manager, bypass it for everything and do
> overrideredirect(1) on all the windows you create. But this means that
> you'll have to do everything "manually", especially window stacking.

Besides that, the popup window is yet under the main frame... :-(
Seems to me that dialogWdw.tkraise(self.root) doesn't do its job.
It's like overrideredirect in main window override also tkraise on it.

I can't believe there isn't an easier way to make a kiosk application
without titlebar.
Perhaps to create a normal window bigger than screen with title bar
outside it?
And after how can I ignore titlebar menu command or "x" and "-"
button?
Or is it possible to create a main Toplevel without "x" and "-"?

Thanks.
Ciao.
Marco.