The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

Falcolas garrickp at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 14:05:16 EDT 2007

On Jun 22, 11:28 am, Robert Uhl <eadmun... at NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
> That's the advantage of a well-organised set of commands.  If you want
> to use regexp search, you have to look at the dialogue box and click on
> a checkbox--which would be a context switch.

Again, you are assuming that the editor isn't set up in a way which
allows this to be done from the keyboard.

ctrl-f, alt-e, type, enter

> That's even assuming that your editor _offers_ regexp search.  If emacs
> didn't have it, I could add it, and it'd be just as much part of the
> editor as if it were included...

One advantage I'm more than happy to cede to you - the current program
I use is closed source and not extensible. Though, I'm sure that there
are editors for windows/mac/xwindows which are as extensible as emacs.

> It's Mac OS and Windows which are inconsistent.  Emacs has been around
> since they were mere glimmers in the eye of Jobs & Gates...

Inconsistent? I would have to disagree. They changed paradigms -
terminal text based interfaces to GUIs. You wouldn't expect a piece of
software built for a terminal to be backwards compatibility to punch
card interfaces, would you? Why would a GUI based program limit itself
to functionality as defined by a terminal application?