Python in the Mozilla world

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 10 12:13:30 EDT 2007

--- "Eric S. Johansson" <esj at harvee.org> wrote:
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/weblog/arch_d7_2007_04_28.shtml#e702

> interesting.  Very interesting but I suspect the
> message is "don't hold your
> breath but don't give up hope."

Exactly. :)

> [...]  What I need to do would take maybe a
> day if you're distracted but
> to spend some number of weeks learning how to
> accomplish that day's effort is a
> pretty low return on investment.  I don't see a
> career in plug-in writing is
> something worth chasing.  Anyway, that's my opinion
> and I'm living with the
> consequences.  :-)

Well, that sounds pretty reasonable, and I'm sure a
lot of folks are in a similar quandary.  They need to
use JS to a certain degree, but nobody wants to make a
career out of plug-in writing, etc.  (I certainly
don't!) It wouldn't surprise me that there are lots of
Python programmers who do JS maybe 5% of the time, and
many of those folks can't justify the effort to go a
bit deeper on the learning curve, create more of a
community, etc.

I guess I'm not helping you much other than to
commiserate, but can I ask you to what extent you've
looked into existing Python web frameworks, to see how
much code there is out there that you could mine for
your projects?  I stumbled on some pretty high quality
Python code a few weeks ago that amounted to
Javascript helpers, but now I can't find it for the
life of me.  But it's out there...