Python rocks

Mark Carter me at privacy.net
Sat Jun 2 13:50:17 EDT 2007

Steve Howell wrote:
> --- Mark Carter <me at privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Well, I know I'm preaching to the converted - but
>> Python rocks.
>> [...]
>
> A few questions from the choir:
>
> As a recent newcomer to the language, did you
> encounter any traps or pitfalls while you were
> learning?  Also, could you single out anything in
> particular about Python that started making you more
> productive, or was it just the overall design?

Well, I've been around the block a few times with Python, and had
decided to try a couple of other languages. Having poked around, I've
come to the conclusion that Python is the best language out there, and
thought I'd share my observation with everyone. I hadn't posted to Lisp,
because that'd be, like, considered trollish.

Python's biggest win is probably its "batteries included" philosophy.
Plus its extensive documentation. IDLE is simple, but it gets the job
done. The syntax is obvious enough, so there's not much to dislike about
Python.

Not that I'm particularly knowledgeable about language design issues,
but maybe closures and slightly different scoping rules would be nice. A
pitfall of Python is knowing whether an operation is destructive or not.
I guess if it was a purely functional language, that particular question
wouldn't arise. Not that I'm saying I want Python to be a purely
functional language. Oh, and when I read a line, I'd like it to get rid
of the trailing line-ending characters.

Python is accreting  a lot of language features, and I'm not sure that's
a good idea. Still, I guess if I don't like them, I don't have to use them.

The thing about Lisp I found is that it's horribly fragmented, and
doesn't do what I want it to do out of the box. Lisp is just too
tedious. Python Just Works. I checked out Ruby a couple of years ago,
but couldn't find anything to be worth the switch. I'm amazed at some of
the things people have been able to do in Forth; but then, it doesn't
beat Python's truckload of libraries and stuff like dictionaries, lists
and other goodies that I get out of the box.