The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sat Jun 23 03:31:37 EDT 2007

Pascal Bourguignon <pjb at informatimago.com> writes:

> Falcolas <garrickp at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> Would you mind elaborating on *what* took 3 hours to do, as opposed
>> to just throwing around unquantified numbers? Would you also mind
>> explaining the user's familiarity with the tools they were using on
>> the mac?
>
> Anything that the user have to do repeatitively with the GUI, like
> copy-and-paste, or reformating of a lot of paragraphs or table
> entries, and which is done automatically by writting a one-liner
> program in emacs or shell.

Actually, in Emacs the task more often than not is solved by using
C-h a or M-x apropos and then finding the command that already does
the job.

>> It's just as easy for me to say that it took me 30 minutes to
>> simply exit emacs, and use that to justify that emacs, and by
>> extension Linux, is a terrible tool.

Somebody who needs 30 minutes to find the File/Exit Emacs menu is not
qualified for reporting _any_ computing experience.

It is like letting yourself get a report about the points of violin
playing from somebody who has just had his first exposure to music,
incidentally in the form of a violin lesson.