The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

Andreas Eder andreas_eder at gmx.net
Mon Jun 25 13:23:06 EDT 2007

Hi Twisted,

    Twisted> That's entirely orthogonal to the issue of interface learning curve OR
    Twisted> interface ease-of-use. Emacs has deficiencies in both areas, if
    Twisted> principally the former. (For an example of the latter, consider
    Twisted> opening a file. Can't remember the exact spelling and capitalization
    Twisted> of the file name? Sorry, bud, you're SOL.

Wrong, ever heard about input completion?

    Twisted> Go find it in some other app
    Twisted> and memorize the name, then return to emacs.

Wrong. Do you know dired?

For even more ease of use use someting like ido, or icicles. It
runs rings about Editors like Notepad.

    Twisted> Now THAT is what I call
    Twisted> disruptive context switching. Meanwhile even the lowly Notepad
    Twisted> responds to "open" by displaying a list of text files and tools to
    Twisted> navigate the folder hierarchy without having to do it blind, while
    Twisted> still letting you blind-type a path if you remember it. And you can
    Twisted> also paste the path in from the clipboard.

You can do so in emacs as well.

    Twisted> Unix systems don't even
    Twisted> *have* a proper system-wide clipboard and copy/paste capability. Under
    Twisted> X there's a weak, text-only imitation, which doesn't help you much
    Twisted> when you want to copy a selection from an image in a paint program and
    Twisted> paste it into a CAD or web-design or specialized image-manipulation
    Twisted> tool or whatever...you have to save it to a file and load it, which is
    Twisted> a pain in the butt and slowly clutters your hard drive with
    Twisted> "temporary" files you occasionally forget to delete.

You obviously have no clue about working under Unix either.

'Andreas

--
Wherever I lay my .emacs, there's my $HOME.