c[:]()

Roland Puntaier Roland.Puntaier at br-automation.com
Mon Jun 4 09:31:55 EDT 2007

Hi,

I have started to look into the last postings. It is funny and sad how
people talking the same language cannot understand each other.
I have become curious on what exactly you mean.

Warren, can you please restate your point.
When doing so, please define every identifier or non-plain english word
before you use it and be concise.

e.g.
You cannot use b if it is not clear what it means.
When writing "c[:]()" there is no "b". So where does "b" come from?
You told us that "b" is a container (*), but where should the python
interpreter or the people take it from.

People start to guess, as I did:
  (1) - Might you mean: "b() for b in c". (I use python syntax here)
        This means c is a container, an undertanding that is supported
also by the used slicing ("[:]").
  (2) - Let's suppose that by (*) you mean that, in addition to "c", "b"
is a container, too.
  (3) - Now for a standard container "b()" does not make sense. Maybe you
mean "b[:]()" according to the guessed interpretation (1).
        This would then be a recursive evaluation of all functions with no
parameters in a tree ("tree" in the informatics sense).
  (end of my guess)

I think somehow it should be possible to convey an idea so that others can
grasp it.
If it does not work the first time, it is good to clarify the points that
one found others to misunderstand.
Otherwise one risks to be regarded as esoteric.

Thanks, Roland