OS X install confusion

7stud bbxx789_05ss at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 15 03:05:15 EDT 2007

On Jun 14, 6:25 pm, Paul McNett <p... at ulmcnett.com> wrote:
> John Fisher wrote:
> > Ted <tedlan... at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> The default python on tiger (2.3.5) is sym-linked to /usr/bin/python
> >> and /usr/bin/pythonw.
>
> >> I found it easier to relink to the new installation path. This also
> >> leaves /usr/bin/python23 and /usr/bin/pythonw23 still linked to the
> >> original version if you want to quickly check something.
>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Ted
>
> > OK, please give a little more information how I can accomplish this
> > "re-link".
>
> Your Python 2.5 is likely installed here:
>
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin
>
> But OS X comes with a "system Python", version 2.3.5, likely installed here:
>
> /usr/bin
>
> If you look at /usr/bin, you'll see:
>
> lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel      9 Jan 31 17:24 python -> python2.3
> lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel     72 Jan 31 17:24 python2.3 ->
> ../../System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin/python
> lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel     10 Jan 31 17:24 pythonw -> pythonw2.3
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  29704 Aug 19  2006 pythonw2.3
>
> So, python is linked to python2.3, and python2.3 is in turn linked to
> /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin/python
>
> You need to (warning: watch for line wrap):
>
> sudo -s
> <enter your password>
> cd /usr/bin
> ln -s /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python
> python_current
> ln -s /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/pythonw
> pythonw_current
> rm python
> rm pythonw
> ln -s python python_current
> ln -s pythonw pythonw_current
>
> However, that isn't what I did. I like the system being able to find and
> use the system-installed python, but I like my scripts to use the python
> version I installed (2.5). To get that, skip the above symlinking and
> instead edit your .bash_profile file (hidden file inside your home
> directory) and put these lines at the top:
>
> PATH="/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:${PATH}
> export PATH
>
> --
> pkm ~http://paulmcnett.com

When I installed macpython 2.4.4, I think the install automatically
changed the file: Users/me/.bash_profile.  Here is what is says at the
bottom of .bash_profile:

# Setting PATH for MacPython 2.5 (these lines added by install)
# The orginal version is saved in .bash_profile.pysave
PATH="/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:$
{PATH}"
export PATH

(Note I installed macpython 2.4.4 but the comment says something about
python 2.5.)

Ahh, I think I know what happened to the op's install.  I don't think
imacs come with the file: Users/me/.bash_profile.  I had previously
created the .bash_profile file in order to alter the bash prompt, so
when I installed macpython 2.4.4, the install modified the pre-
existing .bash_profile file and added the lines listed above.  I bet
the op didn't have a .bash_profile file on his system, so the install
didn't make the path changes for him/her.